Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cut Where You Can!

Let's face it, nobody wants to go from Pampered Princess to Recessionista. I'll never suggest you eat a diet of ramen noodles and tap water. You'll be miserable. It's the little changes that truly count.

Now, I love my caffeine. And being Canadian, I love my Tim Hortons, specifically Medium Iced Cappucino. $2.61 and 500 calories worth of yummyness. I've been known to have three in a day. But when I looked at it, I really only ever enjoyed the first half or so, before the flavour was gone and it was mostly ice. And then theres the whole 500 calorie thing. But, being a college student, I need my caffeine. I found myself running to the coffee shop in between classes and breaks - conveniently it's a Tim Hortons, but thankfully it doesn't carry Iced Caps. I was proud of myself at first, thinking that Hot Smoothees were at least less calories. Once it started to hit the wallet, I tried carrying a bottle of water around. After 15 minutes, it's room temperature and gross. You could partially freeze it, but then it'll sweat and make puddles and be yucky. Same goes for pop. Now here's my daily habit -

Every money-saving tip list in the world suggests bring a thermos of coffee rather than buying it. We've all heard it. Saves you lots, but almost no one does it. Especially me because I don't drink coffee. My solution, I dugout an old commuter cup I had. Everybody has one stashed away. Yes you do. If not, hit the dollar store. I invested in a box of Peppermint Tea Bags ($3 or less, store brand), and carry them around in my backpack. The school cafeteria has a hot water dispenser, but running the hot water in the bathroom would probably do the trick too. Voila! Good for you, delicious, cheap-cheap, and you don't feel like you're missing out. I even use the same teabag all day (for 2-3 cups) without noticing a difference. Rinse it out before you leave and dry it with paper towels. Better for you, the environment, and if you're like me, you're saving $5+ a day. I still have an Iced Cap or two in a week, but I enjoy them a lot more!

No comments:

Post a Comment